Last week we celebrated Have Fun At Work Day. Well…I guess this is one way to have more fun at work. I think that working naked is more for those of us who work alone and at home…with no chance of a customer dropping in. In fact, a recent study found that 1 in 8 male teleworkers and 1 in 14 female teleworkers actually work naked.
I really like working in my PJ’s…not sure I would enjoy working naked. I live in Canada and it is cold this time of year…very cold…even with the fireplace going.
Some suggest that working naked, means that you work alone, without the support of a corporate group around you. If this is the case, I guess I do work naked.
Being in business for yourself means that you have to push your limits, test new waters and find new paths. Without supporters around you, you can feel exposed and vulnerable.
On one particular occasion a couple of years ago, I pushed my speaking limits – tried something very new and way outside my comfort zone. I left the evening feeling very exposed. Frankly, I left the evening deciding that I might have a better career as a bus driver. My husband, who is my most cherished supporter, let me know that he didn’t think that a career as a bus driver was in the cards for me…I don’t think he thought that I had the patience for it…in his words…letting the children off the bus before they got to the school wouldn’t make for Bus Driver of the Year.
It is in times like those when we feel exposed, incompetent and unsure of ourselves that our supporters are most needed. My mastermind (Ross, Randy and Shelle), my mentors and my professional association (CAPS) are the ones that I rely on to give me honest feedback and to show me where I could improve. They help to contradict the negative voices inside my head that tell me to give up.
They renew me. They re-energize me. They help me to re-focus. They keep me from feeling ‘completely naked’. On this day, I send my thanks to Rodger, Shelle, Ross, Randy, Warren, Donald, Margaret, Sandy and Debbie. Because of all of you, I promise not to become a bus driver.
Beverly’s Hot Tips For Celebrating Working Naked Day:
- If you are literally going to work naked today, it is best to ensure that no one else is around. It is very difficult to use the celebration as a line of defense in a court of law…
- If you are an entrepreneur, working alone, celebrate that you have courage. Though many wish to work for themselves, it takes true courage to actually go out on your own and sink or swim on your own merits.
- Minimize your exposure. Surround yourself with those who will cheer you on, give you honest feedback, pick you up, dust you off and send you back out.
As as aside – here are three interesting reasons as to why going to work naked may be a lot of fun:
1. You can get back at your boss who is always yelling, “I wanna see your butt in my office!”
2. You can take advantage of computer monitor radiation to work on your tan.
3. You have an excuse when it comes to buying the morning coffee – “I’d love to chip in, but I left my wallet in my pants.”
If you have some strategies to share – comment on this posting!