To achieve better balance:
- 49% plan to take advantage of all their vacation time
- 41% plan to leave work at a reasonable hour
- 36% plan to take lunch breaks on a consistent basis
- 29% plan to avoid doing work at home or during off-hours
- 24% will consider starting their work day earlier in the morning
- 21% plan to take advantage of flex-time options
However, we see from the information below, that even using your vacation time is not always easy. The 7th annual Expedia.ca/Harrison/Decima found that 42% of Canadians identified themselves as being vacation deprived with younger workers 18-44 identifying themselves as more vacation deprived than those over 45. Yet, 24% of Canadians do not use all of their vacation time and leave on average 2 days on the table.
- One in five (18 per cent) Canadians feel they need a vacation now more than ever because of the stress from the current economy
- One-quarter (26 per cent) of employed Canadians check their work messages while on vacation (which is up from 16 per cent last year)
- One in five Canadians (21 per cent, up from 20 per cent in 2008) have cancelled or postponed vacation plans because of work
On average, Canadians receive 18.7 vacation days, with the least number of days given being the US with 13 and Japan at 15. The most vacation days were given to those from France at 38 days. Japan also leaves the most days unused at 7, with the US leaving 3. 92% of the Japanese do not use all of their vacation days as do 34% of Americans.
Vacation benefits are a part of most, if not all benefit packages, however, it is often seen as an inconvenience by some leaders as opposed to a healthy way for employees to de-stress and take care of themselves. As the spokesperson for the 7th annual survey from Expedia.ca, it still amazes me, on the number of people who fail to use their vacation time, take money as a buy out for their vacation time, or check messages while away on vacation. Progressive companies monitor vacation usage and positively encourage their employees to use the time to rejuvenate and regenerate.
Do you use all of your allotted vacation time?
Does your company and company leaders encourage you to use all of your vacation time?
Does your company actively promote work life balance?
Leave us your comments!