Effective Communication: Leaders Fail To Master The Art Of Effective Communication
These leaders have not mastered the keys to Effective Communication. For many leaders, success is dependent on their ability to effectively and efficiently communicate their ideas to others, yet many of us have been victims of leaders who have put us to sleep.
According to research by Towers and Perrin, employees want effective communication that is an open and honest exchange of information – both the good and the bad – and presentations that are clear and understandable.
An effective leader is able to tell the story, along with the facts, to bring people on board. Click to tweet
Succeed As A Leader Through Effective Communication
To succeed as a leader you must make things happen through others. They must believe you. And they must act on your message.
Effective Communication Can Be Learned
Communicating effectively is rarely a natural talent, but it is one that can be learned. Many leaders are trained to focus only on reasoning and logic, but people are not motivated to act by reason alone. People are moved by purpose, by stories, and by passion. An effective leader is able to tell the story, along with the facts, to bring people on board.
Unfortunately, too many leaders annoy their audiences.
Beverly’s Hot Tips To Ensuring Effective Communication and Your Message Has Impact:
- Add stories, anecdotes, testimonials, analogies and/or demonstrations, because these add interest, value, and build trust
- Effective leaders master the body’s most influential tool – their voice. Alternate moving and standing still, speaking and listening, doing and thinking, loud and quiet, as this keeps the listener attentive
- Use humor appropriately – make it in good taste, and avoid humour that belittles
- Make eye contact, as this brings the audience into the message
- Gesture naturally and avoiding annoying habits such as jingling change in a pocket, toying with notes, shifting from one foot to the other, or over-exaggerating actions
Above all, the key Effective Communication is to be yourself, because your audience wants know the real you.
If you have some strategies to share – comment on this posting!