Parents and Children. Ignorance can be bliss.
If I had known the shear challenge of raising two strong-willed, spirited children, I may never have become a parent…
But then I would never have known the joy of a single hug, the warmth of a small hand nestled in mine or have the picture perfect memory of them sleeping on my lap.
Parents and Children: As parents, we have to learn our job as we go and we soon realize that love is not all that is needed. Click to tweet
Parenting: How It Makes Us Feel
Ignorance can make us feel angry, frustrated, inadequate, guilty, trapped, anxious or stressed. We need to learn ways to cope and reduce the tensions involved in family life in order that parenting can be fun, enjoyable, and rewarding.
Parenting starts by building a relationship based on love and trust. This is the foundation on which all-else rests for parents and children.
Beverly’s Hot Tips For Building Resiliency for Parents and Children On Parent’s Day:
- Reach Out And Touch Them – Hugs and cuddles speak volumes. We are tactile creatures, however, don’t embarrass them as they get older. A pat on the back may be more appropriate as they age.
- Take Time Together – Give them your undivided attention at some point during the day. Even 10 minutes at bedtime reviewing their day and their feelings can keep open the doors of communication in the more difficult times. Talking and listening are simple but valuable skills for a parent.
- Show Respect – Respect their feelings and choices even when you do not understand or necessarily agree with them. Offer children choices between acceptable alternatives.
- Be Trustworthy – Do not break your promise. Some promises are stated by body language or by what is not said. Promise only what you can deliver on.
- Admit Your Mistakes – Say ‘sorry’ when you have done something wrong or lost your temper.
- Have Fun – Find time to laugh, enjoy nature, and together discover the world around you.
Parenting is one of life’s most challenging opportunities. It can test every fiber of one’s being. Building a strong foundation, providing structure, using positive guidance, and constructive correction, keeping a sense of humour and by taking care of yourself, parenting can be the most rewarding role you could have ever hoped to have. In times when common sense is not winning the challenge, parents need to rely on their sources of support, the myriad of information available on parenting, and experts in the field.
And as one unknown author wrote about parents and children:
Don’t personalize their behaviour or expect to have the picture perfect family and parenting will be much easier. But do keep that perfect picture of your child in your mind’s eye as your reward for being a parent.
Contact Beverly about hosting a mental health workshop for your teams on work life balance. Discover tips to deal with stress and how to build resilience!
If you have some strategies to share – comment on this posting!
What Will Be Your Legacy Month
Potty Training Awareness Month
Stay At Home With Your Kid Day
Leave a Reply