Stay Healthy and Safe
I have been taking karate for quite a few years now as a way to stay healthy and safe. I’m a black belt, not quite a beginner. It takes lots of hard practive…yet I am pretty sure that I would still have a great deal of trouble using it against an attacker, especially one with any size behind them.
So how do you defend yourself? Is a self-defense course the answer?
If you go on-line, you can find hundreds of self-defense sites and products. Are these any good? Do they work? Are they right for you?
Stay Healthy and Safe – Do You Know How To Defend Yourself?
Early in my university years and again when I was working within a college, I took a couple of basic self-defense courses. They were exactly right for that time in my life. It did two things. In a way, they enhanced my awareness of the dangers and gave me ideas for options that I could use. They were definitely worthwhile.
Even after years of practicing karate, my basic instincts still take over.
Fear is powerful. And so it should be. Fear keeps us on our toes. It warns us to not be in dangerous situations. Even the best karate move is not to be there when the attack comes in. Click to tweet
January is Personal Self-Defense Month
Self-defense refers to actions taken by a person to stop another person from causing harm to one’s self. It is all about how to stay healthy and safe.
Consider what this means for you in your personal life and work life. Are you working or living in an environment that threatens your physical safety or your psychological safety?
Consider Your Personal Self-Defense:
What actions do you need to take to Stay Healthy and Safe?
- Do you know what to do if someone grabs you? Do you need to take a course on basic self-defense strategies?
- Are you aware of your surroundings or have you become complacent?
- Do you take risks when you shouldn’t or don’t have too?
- Are you confident in yourself and do you carry yourself in a confident way?
Take your physical safety seriously. Be prepared. Be Aware. Look like you know what you are doing.
- Do you know what to do if someone harasses you? Do you need to refresh yourself on your workplace policies?
- Do you provide support and address stigmatizing attitudes around mental health and mental illness?
- Do you know how to handle a workplace bully?
Take your environment and workplace culture seriously. Know how to address the issues and create a psychologically safe workplace.
Contact Beverly about hosting a mental health workshop for your teams on how to build resilience. Learn relaxation strategies, and discover coping tips to deal with stress, change and crisis!
If you have some strategies to share – comment on this posting!