Would you? Could you? Hug your boss?
Really?!…Not in a sexual harassment policy sort of way…but in celebration of National Hug Your Boss Day?
National Hug Your Boss Day
According to the National Hug Your Boss Day website out of the UK (http://www.nationalhugyourbossday.com/take-the-test.html), this quiz may help you determine if you have a good or stressful relationship with your boss.
- Does your boss trust you?
- Do you trust your boss?
- Have you shared personal stories and weekend activities?
- Do you work well with your boss? Are you productive?
- Where you stand with your boss?
- Do you work towards the same goals?
- Have you and your boss socialized together?
- Do you speak to your boss openly about problems you have at work?
- Can you tell your boss a joke or funny story?
The more ‘yes’ answers the more likely you are able to give your boss a hug.
Beverly’s Hot Tips For Building Resilience During National Hug Your Boss Day:
- Understand the differences between you and your boss. Are they more detail-focused or more the ideas type of person? Do they tend to procrastinate or have unrealistic time frames? How do they maintain their composure during stressful times? Are they the type to do the shout and stomp or play the silent game? Aloof or outgoing? Are they able to delegate or do they like to be hands-on? Do they seem more participatory or more a dictator?
- Work on various ways to improve the relationship between you. Develop strategies that help you to minimize the differences and maximize the similarities.
- Be true to your word. Do what you say you are going to do.
- Share not only the ‘bad’ news but the good news with your boss. Many times all we talk about are the stressful issues, the difficulties and the challenges and your boss learns to expect that negativity. Help them to see that you can recognize and celebrate the successes and talk to them in positive ways as well. Communication is the key to a successful relationship.
I love this recommendation of things not to say to your boss from the NHYBD website:
- This company sucks and I want to leave
- Only 10 minutes to go!
- Be my friend on Facebook
- I don’t get paid enough for this
- That is not in my job description
- Does it matter if I don’t finish this
- It was not my fault!
- How much money do you earn?
- Yeah, whatever!
Improve Your Relationship and Communication Skills
So reach out, improve you relationship and communication skills. And if you can’t hug your boss today, then maybe the next time National Hug Your Boss Day rolls around, you will be able to.
Want to create a picture of what your ideal boss would look like, visit the National Hug Your Boss Day website at http://www.nationalhugyourbossday.com/take-the-test.html. Pretty funny!
If you have some strategies to share – comment on this posting!