Forgotten Feelings: How Expressing Your Feelings Can Make You Healthier
I love that my boys are maturing into young adults. Don’t get me wrong, I still ache when I look at their baby pictures. I long for the days when they use to hold my hand. I miss cheering them on during their competitions. But, I also love that we are now communicating differently. They can express their concerns, their joys and their challenges in such a way that it allows us to connect on a deeper level. Also, expressing your feelings can make you healthier.
One forgotten component of overall optimal health is our emotional health. Our feelings have important implications for how we view ourselves, our relationships and the world around us. This ability to maturely face and express these feelings can help us to meet life’s challenges without becoming overwhelmed or hopeless and without the need to dominate and force those around us, and Expressing Feelings Can Make You Healthier.
It includes the ability to adjust to the various obstacles one may encounter in life, the development of autonomy, the ability to realistically assess one’s limitations and the maintenance of satisfying relationships.
Signs of emotional wellness:
- The ability to talk about feelings and needs
- The ability to say ‘no’ to those things that are not apart of your priority without feeling guilty
- Being mostly happy and satisfied with the various aspects of your life and the relationships you develop
- Having several people in your life that you care about and can call upon when in need
- The ability to relax and to take care of your needs
- Feeling good about who you are
Beverly’s Hot 5 Tips for achieving emotional health:
- Recognize the types and strength of the various feelings related to situations
- Develop a realistic attitude about what you and those around you can achieve
- Take care of your physical health – get appropriate sleep, exercise and nutrition
- Be respectful of other’s ideas, opinions and talents
- Keep a sense of humour and learn to play
Beverly’s Hot Tip For Building Resiliency and Celebrating Mental Health Awareness Week:
By being realistic about others and ourselves, by being aware of and accepting of our feelings, and by maintaining satisfying relationships we will be one step closer to reaching our goal of optimal health because expressing your feelings can make you healthier.
If you have some strategies to share – comment on this posting!