In Canada, more than 50,000 strokes and 75,000 heart attacks occur every year. Eight percent of workers are taking medication to treat depression and other mental-health conditions and mental illness costs the Canadian economy over $50 billion each year.
So what do we do?
Welcome to Healthy Workplace Month.
This yearly celebration isdesigned to introduce workplace health to organizations and support those that are already promoting healthy workplaces.
Workplace health programs not only positively impact the employee, but they positively impact the company, the employee’s family and our communities as a whole. These programs are not only the right thing to do for the individual, they are the right thing to do period.
Beverly’s Hot Tip For Celebrating Healthy Workplace Week:
- Start a conversation. What are the sources of stress within your employees – personally and professionally? What impact is it having – what are the symptoms we see in our employees and in the company?
- Benchmark this information. How much is this costing in absenteeism, turnover, lowered productivity, healthcare costs…?
- Decide what programs would help reduce this impact on the individual and the company? (Not sure – sign up for Beverly’s Path To Wellness Ezine which focuses on Workplace Wellness)
- Get support. Bring together management and employees to talk about strategies. Start small – go for the biggest bang for your buck.
- Don’t reinvent the wheel. Use the resources that are available to you. Look for on-line resources (remember the ezine). Talk to others who have tried similar things before. Bring in someone (like Beverly) to help talk it through.
- Get involved in all of the programs that you company has to offer. You never know what you will learn or how it could positively impact your life or the life of those around you.
If you have some strategies to share – comment on this posting!