“Blessed is the person who can have fun at work while being productive.”
Really, isn’t that what it is all about. Enjoying what you do.
Some people have fun at work actually doing their jobs. They get a kick out of creating or solving.
Some people create fun at work while they are doing their job by connecting with the people that they work with.
Does this mean that these people enjoy every aspect of their job? No. We all have tasks that are boring or difficult. However, these people are able get through those tasks or projects and find ways to lighten up the times by adding an element of fun here are there.
Our research shows that those who have fun at work are more engaged, more productive and are healthier. It is in a company’s best interest then to build more fun into the workplace.
Beverly’s Hot Tips For Celebrating Have Fun At Work Day:
- Create a special theme for the day – decorate, dress up (Beach Day, Dress Up Your Supervisor Day, Favourite Hat Day, Name Your Chair Day, Baby Photos, Pet Photos, Clash Day, Suspender Day, Bad Hair Day, Gorilla Hunt (find the hidden gorilla picture), Fortune Teller, Relive your prom day, Caricature or other artists….)
- Bring food to share – tie it to your theme
- Bring in a guest speaker
- Share the jokes of the day – or list the best excuses for the day
- Set up team challenges – how about mini darts or mini basketball hoops, paper plate tosses…bring in a Wii, bring in a unicycle, inflatable hockey net, tricycle races, egg and spoon races, busboy challenge
Give out “Manager of Mirth Awards.”
According to EDS manager Ben Levan, the criteria for the Manager of Mirth Award are:
1. Creates the Culture – leader appreciates, motivates and inspires their employees.
2. Knows their people – leader gives creative, timely and appropriate recognition.
3. Work is Fun – Leader finds ways to make serious work – fun!
4. Together we’re better – Leader values and fosters creativity and teamwork.
5. Sets the example – Leader has a high sense of self-esteem, is able to take themselves lightly, and thereby manages their stress more effectively.
Any job can be transformed. It is how you look at it and the fun that you build around it. Click to tweet
Some Things To Think About
Something to ponder…..You are what you do. If you do boring, stupid, monotonous work, chances are you’ll end up boring, stupid, and monotonous. – Bob Black
Something else to ponder…Laugh a little each day. It is better than chicken soup…at least that’s what the chickens say.
The supreme accomplishment is to blur the line between work and play. -Arnold Toynbee
Have Fun At Work Day!
We have choice. Any job can be transformed. It is how you look at it and the fun that you build around it. Happy Fun At Work Day!
If you have some strategies to share – comment on this posting!