Handling Cranky Customers
As many teams gear up for the festive season, they are not just preparing for the influx of joyous shoppers; they are also bracing themselves for handling cranky customers. Here's a reminder of how to handle the inevitable crankiness with grace and professionalism. As a leader how you start the conversation with your team and how you strategize about how to be effective with these customers matters.
Here is a letter from a leader of a retail store to their team to get you thinking about what you might do and say.
The holidays are around the corner, and you know what that means – a wave of shoppers, some jolly, and well, some not-so-jolly. But here's the deal – those not-so-jolly customers are as much a part of our job, as putting the tinsel on our trees. Without them, we wouldn't be the rocking sales team we are. So, let's gear up and tackle those cranky customers with a bit of savvy and a whole lot of holiday spirit.
The Lowdown on Handling Cranky Customers
Negative vibes usually come out when our customers are stressed or running on empty. And let's be honest, these times are a bit crazy. We've all been there too – faced with inconsiderate and demanding customers. And when we're knee-deep in the holiday rush, it's easy for our words, tone, and body language to inadvertently send the message that customers are not welcome. But we all know – we need these customers.
So Here Are Some Tips To Making These Holidays Easier
- Get Ahead of the Game: Let's chat about (not whine about) the kinds of customers we might run into. Share your war stories, and let's prep solutions ahead of time. It will be our secret weapon against negativity – we will be ready to roll without taking on their drama.
- Stay Cool, Be Clear: Be assertive, and know what you want to say. Allow them some venting room, but in no way accept abusive behaviour or comments.
- Power to the People: Help the customer to feel in control, starting with your body language. Face the customer, lock eyes, and be all in. When people feel special, it's harder for them to be the cranky customer.
- Set the Scene: Take a stroll around the store – is it chaos or zen? Let's make our spot a chill zone in the midst of the holiday madness. A comfy, peaceful atmosphere is a game-changer for dodging difficult behaviour.
- Look After Yourselves: Handling cranky customers is like running a marathon. Take your breaks, eat decent food, and drink less coffee (and Red Bull) so you don't have the jitters. Lighten up, and have fun.
Your Role in Keeping the Good Vibes and Handling Cranky Customers
Team, together we shine. Use your best judgement when troubleshooting, keep things calm, and stay healthy. By making these moves, we'll dial down the drama and keep those cranky customers to a minimum.
Let's not just survive this holiday season; let's rock it!
Cheers to a festive and kick-butt holiday run!
Contact Beverly about hosting a workshop for your teams on how to deal with difficult people at work. Learn strategies to create a more positive attitude in the workplace and encourage an engaging, safe working environment!
If you have some strategies to share – comment on this posting!