He was tall and taught me to dance while standing on his feet. She was quiet and always had a hug waiting for me. These are my grandparents.
"The best classroom in the world is at the feet of an elderly person." - Unknown
My sons are blessed to have had three sets of grandparents and three sets of great-grandparents. They knew and loved each one. One always had their favorite cookies. Another had the special green and white striped candies in a dish just waiting for them. One liked to take them fishing. One took them golfing. One took them for rides on the lawn mower. One had boxes of Lego for them to build with. Another had lots of tractors to play with.
He was tall and taught me to dance while standing on his feet. She was quiet and always had a hug waiting for me. These are my grandparents. Click to tweet
We are blessed to have grandparents in our lives. They joke that being a grandparent is much more fun than being a parent because you can give them back. But in reality, they have the wisdom to see through the temper tantrums and other day-to-day issues and to cherish the short time that they have to spend with their grandchildren.
Grandparent's Day is not just a Hallmark creation and a way to increase card sales. It is our opportunity to thank our grandparents for their wisdom and love. Ask your grandparents for their favourite childhood memory. It may be a priceless gift. If they are not in your lives anymore, today is the day to remember the legacy that they have left you and to be thankful.
Beverly’s Tips For Building Resiliency and Celebrating Grandparent’s Day:
1. Spend Quality Time Together: The best way to celebrate Grandparent's Day is by spending time with your grandparents. Whether it's a visit, a phone call, or a video chat, connecting with them can make their day truly special. Listen to their stories, ask about their experiences, and create lasting memories together.
2. Create a Memory Book: Compile a memory book filled with photographs, mementos, and written memories of your time together. This thoughtful gift can serve as a cherished keepsake, preserving the special moments you've shared over the years.
3. Cook or Bake Together: Many grandparents have treasured recipes that have been passed down through generations. Spend some time in the kitchen together, learning how to prepare a family favourite. It's a wonderful way to bond, and you'll have a delicious meal to enjoy at the end.
4. Share Your Appreciation: Take a moment to express your gratitude. Write a heartfelt letter or simply tell your grandparents how much they mean to you. Let them know that their love and wisdom have made a significant impact on your life.
5. Volunteer or Donate: Consider volunteering together with your grandparents for a cause that's meaningful to them. Alternatively, make a charitable donation in their name to honour the spirit of giving and compassion that often characterizes grandparents.
Grandparents are a source of wisdom, love, and connection. Grandparent's Day is a wonderful opportunity to celebrate these remarkable individuals who have played an essential role in shaping our lives. Whether near or far, the love between generations is a bond worth cherishing, and this special day offers the perfect chance to express your appreciation and create new memories together.
Contact Beverly about hosting a mental health workshop for your teams on how to build resilience. Learn relaxation strategies, and discover coping tips to deal with stress, change and crisis!
If you have some strategies to share – comment on this posting!