A true friend reaches for your hand and touches your heart. ~Author Unknown
I have a couple of ‘bestest’ friends. I don’t see them very often as we have moved far apart. But I know that I can count on them. I know that I can call them and resume right where we had left off. They have been down the road with me and will always be in my heart. They are as beautiful and as precious as a flower in bloom.
Though my husband is my ‘very bestest bestest friend’, my true girlfriends meet my needs for connection in a different way and are truly a gift.
Research shows that our social connection to our friends gives us a sense of belonging, a feeling of security and increase our sense of self-worth. They help us to deal better with the stressors in life and live happier more successful lives.
Girlfriend’s Day is an opportunity to remember that we are not trekking through life alone and to value the special friends that we have made along the way.
Cultivating True Friendships:
- Listen to your intuition – true friends give off a positive energy that make us feel good as opposed to drain us – Evaluate your friendships.
Does the conversation flow easily, or is it forced?
Do you feel they truly understand, accept and support you?
Do you feel you truly understand, accept and support them?
Do you feel better or worse about yourself when you’re with them?
- Listen with your heart – When dealing with friends, it’s important to give as well as to receive. Listen to the emotion in what is being said.
- Make the time – though life can get away from us we should never let our friendships get away from us – friendships take energy and time to nuture and to keep fresh.
- Learn to let go – our friends are no more perfect than we are. We need to ignore those imperfections and learn to celebrate their positive traits that brought us together as friends
Beverly’s Hot Tips For Celebrating Girlfriend’s Day:
- Call or drop-in just because – let them know that they matter to you and that you value them
- Plan a time to get together – have a girlfriend’s night out
- Send them a picture of the two of you together with your favourite friendship quote
- Share a special memory of them that you hold in your heart
Our bestest friends are special. Be proactive and let them know that they matter and that you appreciate them.
Happy Girlfriend’s Day to my bestest girlfriends…Janet, Lauri, Mag, and Kim
If you have some strategies to share – comment on this posting!