Skill Shortage Leading To Family Friendly Programs
Why are family friendly programs placing front and center when we look at top-rated companies?
Currently, there is a skill shortage and this is only going to deepen as our baby boomers move further into retirement. Those that have the skills will have their pick of companies to work for and among the top attractors employees look for is the ability to maintain and develop a positive balance between their professional and personal life. When it comes to retaining top talent, a company that promotes a positive work-life balance has employees who report high job quality.
High job quality = retention = bottom line success.
What are family friendly programs?
The World Health Organization reports that health is the extent to which a group is able to realize aspirations, satisfy needs and to change or cope with their environment.
Balance is achieved when a person is satisfied with their time and energy that they are spending on the various aspects of their life.
Family friendly programs then are any programs that allow the person to free up time and energy to spend on family related matters or those that bring more satisfaction to family related matters. Family friendly programs may give flexibility – such as the option for telework. They may provide training or information such as how to relate to your teenager, or they may take care of other aspects of their life while at work such as on-site flu shots.
Here are some examples of top Family-Friendly Workplace Wellness Programs using the 7 Spokes of Wellness Model (L.E.A.D.E.R.S.)
- Vacation Purchase Program or Unlimited Vacation Policy
- Celebrating National Family Dinner Day by ending the day early and having nutritious dinners available for purchase and take out
- Pregnant employees are given preferred parking in their third trimester
- Emergency preparedness seminars
- Sponsoring of summer day camp programs
- A weeks worth of free suppers when returning from maternity or paternity leave
- Access to life coaches
- On-site daycare emails photos of child
- Support and referral services for employees with children who have special needs
Dynamics and Culture
- Childcare expenses are covered when employees travel
- Performance reviews include work-life balance goals
- If have to work late or weather may be an issue, access a local hotel for $20/night
- Multigenerational workshops for manager training
- Workshops on flex-time – what’s working and what’s not for managers
- Cancer Resource Center
Remuneration and Benefits
- Discounted pet insurance
- Donation of $300 to an employee’s favourite charity to which they have volunteered more than 50 hours annually
- Does your company focus on family-friendly initiatives?
- What family friendly program do you think is the most valuable?
- Is your company doing enough to support those with family related issues?
If you have some strategies to share – comment on this posting!