I’m putting so many hours into my business and I’m beginning to feel burned out. Help! How can I keep my company afloat but still lead a normal life?
Burnout is a state of fatigue while feeling frustrated, overworked, and unappreciated. Burnout can be a serious consequence of an unbalanced life. This occurs when a person persists with a way of life that doesn’t meet their expectations or exerts too many demands on their energy. Often this is the case for a new entrepreneur or a small business owner.
Some of the other signs of burnout include:
- needing more hours to get your work done,
- lack of focus,
- decreased creativity,
- sleep problems,
- substance abuse,
- becoming cynical,
- complaining more,
- and feeling more isolated.
When these occur it becomes extremely difficult to carry on with your business.
Beverly’s Hot Tips For Building Resiliency and Combating Burnout:
- Know your priorities – have a clear understanding as to why you started your own business and the benefits of owning your business
- Set very clear expectations for yourself and for those around you based on those priorities
- Take care of your mental health – remember that you are not superhuman, keep perspective and develop a life outside of your business
- Take care of your physical health – Sleep, Eat, Exercise and avoid/minimize negative stress copers such as alcohol, smoking and caffeine
- Develop family, friend and peer supports – talk to others about creative ideas on how to handle the problems that may be occurring.
Know your priorities – have a clear understanding as to why you started your own business and the benefits of owning your business Click to tweet
Many entrepreneurs started their own business so that they could be happier by having more control over their life, but often the demands of running the business leave them feeling out-of-control. In order to be successful it is important the the entrepreneur not only works hard, but takes the time to take care of themselves and stay connected to those around them.
If you have some strategies to share – comment on this posting!
Other Articles That You May Like: