Holiday Stress At Work
“It’s The Best Time Of The Year”…or so the song goes as we celebrate the holidays.
The holidays are here and it is time to focus on wellness and fun, but for many employees, the holidays are often filled with anxiety, dread and guilt.
As an employer, you can control some of the variables that create holiday stress. Start by minimizing overtime, ensuring realistic deadlines and reminding people of the resources that are available to them such as their Employee Assistance Program or community agencies.
Try giving your team a holiday pick-me-up from the hustle and bustle of the season. Promote health and wellness in your organization by trying out some of these low or no cost ideas to celebrate the holidays:
Low and No Cost Ideas To Celebrate The Holidays
- Promote Hydration. Bring Your Own Water Bottle Day or install an Bevi which is a smart water cooler—bringing
flavors, fizz to the workplace
- Host A Team Potluck. Encourage Cultural Sharing of favourite recipes
- Host An Employee Field Day. Go to a local park and organize some team challenges
- Promote 12 Days of Gratitude. Encourage your employees to list 3 things they are grateful for everyday on a shared social media site
- Schedule Recess. Pick a 15 time-slot in the afternoon for everyone to take a break
- DJ For A Day. Select a person to be the DJ during break and they get to play their 3 favourite songs over the internal system or on their speakers
- Host A Clothing Drive
- Create A High Five Board. On a dry-erase board, encourage people to call-out another team member for something positive they did
- Post An Inspirational Quote Of The Day
- Hold an “Ugly Holiday Sweater” Contest
How many of these ideas to celebrate the holidays, does your organization participate in?
What other no or low cost ideas does your company use to celebrate the holidays?
If you have some strategies to share – comment on this posting!